Saturday 29 June 2013

Beaver Fun day at Thorrington scout camp

Last weekend we went to Thorrington campsite for a beaver,cub,brownie and rainbow fun day. First of all we visited the animal man. We were allowed to touch some of the animals. First I touched a skunk. I was a bit nervous but he had had his glands removed so he couldn't spray us. He also had some naked Guinea pigs. They looked like mini pigs because they did not have any fur. I really liked the albino hedgehog. It was spiky like my hair! 


Next we went bouldering. This is a hut and inside the walls are covered in plastic rock climbing hand holds. You have to wear a helmet. You climb up the walls without a rope and then climb around the walls not up. Top tip.....never wear big boots as they will be too big for the foot holds!

After bouldering I tried crate stacking. I was on a harness and my friends stacked up old milk crates for me to step on. I climbed really high before my time ran out and then I jumped off. I liked swinging from the rope. It reminded me of the Tarzan swing that I loved in Costa Rica. 


Near to the crate stacking, hidden in the woods, was a rope bridge. I had to climb up a ladder to get on. I didn't like it because other boys were shaking it. But I did and felt really proud.
By this time I was starving and thank goodness it was time for lunch. We had a ticket to exchange for hot dogs, ice cream and biscuits.
After lunch we tried archery. I got all of my arrows on the target. I even got one in the yellow section. I found it quite hard to keep the arrow in the notch. 

We finished the day with a campfire. The fire was huge and the bits of ash kept on blowing on us. The songs made me laugh especially the worm song.

"We hate bugs,clap clap clap, look at the worm, catch the worm, lick the worm, bite the worm ,chew the worm, swallow the worm, digest the worm, poo the worm, kick the worm, shoot the worm, SORRY MR WORM"

I had the best day so far at Beavers and I can't wait to go to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment